Here’s the first of what we hope will become a regular feature, a guest blog post from one of our Professional Organizer friends, the fine people at Downsizing Diva. Today Karen Shinn tells us a bit about what they do, and why a Professional Organizer such as herself is a great partner for what we do at Space Solutions. Take it away, Karen!
Clothes, clothes and more clothes!
We don’t call ourselves “Downsizing Diva” for nothing! After years of experience in the Senior Move Management business, we know the most challenging part of move preparation is the downsizing part!
We work with our clients to:
i. Help figure out what to take to their new home,
ii. Pack and unpack all the boxes
iii. Put everything away
iv. Leave their new home feeling familiar, comfortable and safe.
When all is said and done, the biggest challenge is making sure there is enough storage space at the new home for…clothes and shoes!
We love working with Space Solutions because they help us help our clients fit more clothes and shoes into their new, and usually smaller, closet spaces!
Here are Downsizing Diva’s Favourite Storage Tips:
• You likely wear 20% of your clothes 80% of the time!
• When you only take the clothes you feel great wearing, it will be much easier to organize your closet and your life!
• Custom-built systems utilize the closet space more efficiently, so you can store all the clothes that YOU want to store.
• Double-hanging closet rods, shoe racks, shelves and storage containers can add lots more storage space.
• The top shelves are the most difficult to access so they should be used to store items that are not frequently used.
• Square or rectangular boxes, not round ones, will maximize drawer/shelf space.
• Clearly label boxes so you can quickly find what you’re looking for.
• Use decorative boxes to hold smaller items and store them in plain sight.
• Innovative organizing accessories will make the most of your available space.
Gail Shields and Karen Shinn are Move Organizers Extraordinaire and owners of Downsizing Diva! — the company that helps Seniors and their families downsize and move. Check out their website – www.downsizingdiva.com or call them at (416) 757-0319.